Sunday, October 30, 2011

Frankenstein 10

"But Paradise Lost excited different and far deeper emotions. I read it, as I had read the other volumes which had fallen into my hands, as a true history." (118)


Frankenstein’s monster’s entrance to life was the complete opposite of that of Adam’s in Paradise Lost; Adam came into life as a perfect being, loved by God and prosperous in all respects. The monster, however, was brought into life an experiment, and had never known love from anyone he had met, including his creator. Shelley incorporates Paradise Lost into Frankenstein in many character parallels, as the creation is comparable to both Adam and Satan in different respects; he monster being the first of his kind like Adam and being abandoned like Satan.
Works Cited:

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you until the last sentence -- it just feels a bit broad and general -- I've read it a couple of times now and I'm .. it is a problematic sentence for me -- not inaccurate, just .. it may be the repetitive language (respects) and the vague language (many ways) that is throwing me off.

    ReplyDelete