Sunday, October 30, 2011

Frankenstein 9

"I will soon explain to what these feelings tended, but allow me now to return to the cottagers, whose story excited in me such various feelings of indignation, delight, and wonder, but which all terminated in additional love and reverence for my protectors (for so I loved, in an  innocent, half-painful self-deceit, to call them)." (109)

This dialogue from Frankenstein’s creation parallels Frankenstein’s feelings of ownership that he had over Elizabeth when his parents first adopted her. The monster doesn’t feel ownership over the De Laceys, so to speak, but more of a need to care for them and protect them from any harm. He would fetch them firewood and stop stealing their food, all for their own well being. Frankenstein himself had a similar need, and would blame himself entirely if anything ever happened to Eizabeth. Shelley writes this parallel to form yet another tie between the monster and his creator. 

1 comment: